The Village of Elk Grove Village imposes a tax on the transfer of title to real estate located in the Village. The rate of the tax is $3 per $1,000 of value, or fraction thereof. The primary liability for the tax lies with the seller or grantor of the real estate.
In order to apply, you will need the following:
Please Note: All forms must read exactly the same as the document being recorded
(e.g. husband and wife's name, middle initial and trust number). Documents failing to comply
will be returned unprocessed.
- Elk Grove Village Real Estate Tax Declaration Form: This form must be fully completed and include two signatures. Acceptable signatures are: buyer, buyer's agent, seller, and seller's agent or an attorney may sign for both parties. If completing the form online, four (4) printed and signed copies of the form must be provided to fulfill recording requirements.
- Copy of the New Deed: An unexecuted copy of the deed will be accepted to purchase the stamp; however, a copy of the signed deed must be forwarded to the Finance Department within 10 days after the closing.
- Water/Sewer Affidavit: Fill out the top three lines as well as the forwarding address of the seller and the name of the buyer.
Please note: A final water bill must be paid at the time of the transfer stamp purchase. Final meter readings must be scheduled at least two days prior to the closing date. Additionally, all utility bills and any other outstanding debts due the Village must be paid prior to the stamp issuance.
- A Copy of the PTAX-203: Illinois Real Estate Transfer Declaration Form or an EZ Dec Form
- Real Estate Disclosure Form – Underground Fuel Heating Storage Tanks: Required for all properties located north of Elk Grove Boulevard. Sellers must provide the disclosure form to the buyer(s) regarding the potential presence of underground fuel heating storage tanks. Please contact the Elk Grove Village Fire Department at (847) 734-8020 for information regarding underground fuel heating storage tanks.
- The stamp may be purchased with cash, cashier's check, money order, attorney or title company check made payable to: Elk Grove Village. We do not accept credit cards, personal or company checks.
Real Estate Transfer Stamps may be purchased at the finance counter at the Municipal Building, 901 Wellington Avenue, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Real Estate Transfer Stamps may also be purchased via mail; however, transactions take approximately one week to complete. If submitting via mail, please include a self-addressed envelope for the return of your documents.
Certain real estate transactions may be exempt or eligible for a refund on a portion of the transfer tax. For additional information or to see if your transaction qualifies, please visit the Real Estate Transfer Stamp Refund or Real Estate Transfer Stamp Exemption pages.